Monday, June 21, 2010

{GASP}...Could it be?!?


Supplies used:
K&Co and BG papers,Cuttlebug embossing folder, SEI velvet paper,Tim Holtz distress ink and die,Prima flowers and beads, Creative Imaginations clear label, Tsukineko white gel roller,Sizzix die,Quickutz dies,DMC crochet thread,Martha Stewart punches.


A scrapbook layout?!? That's crazy talk. I can't believe how long it's been since I've actually scrapbooked. I love, love, love card-making, but I've really missed working with my photos too.

I've had this layout in the works for about 2 years now. I know how that sounds but no, it wasn't laying on my scrap table for 2 years. I chose the K&Co papers back then and had the pics printed, but never went any farther until this past weekend. I'm really really happy with this one. I tried my hand at a little distressing. I've bought nearly every color of Tim Holtz distress ink and I LOVE it! I have a few tips to share with you with regards to these distress inks, the first being the best little tool you can use with these is the Tim Holtz distress ink applicator tool with the sponge refill pads!
It's a good idea to go ahead and find it in your budget to buy enough refill pads for each ink pad you own. I only have one applicator handle as I really didn't want to spend the money on a bunch of them with the handle caddy(though it looks really cool and would be SO much easier to use than my method but I digress....) I found it's easy enough to switch out the velcro pads when working with different colors of ink. I bought these small clear baggies at Michael's a few years ago and they work perfectly to store the pads when not in use. I just slapped a label on each bag and I sit them upright in a basket that holds my inkpads.I also really recommend the Ranger craft sheet(or any comparable craft sheet) when working with these inks. It's made blending a breeze and saved the top of my craft table.




And since I'm on a Tim Holtz kick here lately, I bought the ruler with the paper piercing edge which is what I used to stitch on my layout. It's super easy to line it up and pierce along the sides and gave me the option of using a bit thicker crochet thread and a cross-stitch needle to sew. I used a backstitch(for all you cross-stitchers out there) and while it took me a bit of time to complete, I really think the end result was worth it. If you're like me, sometimes I make mistakes with my sewing machine and it's been known to jam and rip the paper. This was the only sheet of this paper I had so there was no room for mechanical error today. It'll be so easy to use that ruler to add quick stitching on a card!




I used a few new goodies on this one. The label under the title is one of the new Tim Holtz dies and the edge peeking out from the large photo is a new Sizzix frame die that I just tucked up underneath. And of course, I had to incorporate some of my Martha punches. I wasn't sure about those rain drop punches that I used for the border of the page at first, but now I'm so glad I held onto them. I think they were just the right touch for a military themed layout--not too frou-frou if you know what I mean?

I've been pretty bad the last week and ended up ordering MORE stuff online. I just got my PTI order in the mail today and a few other small packages are filtering in. It's ok though. My mojo appears to be back and I'm ready to play!
I'm off to work on a few more scrappy things. Hope your week's a great one!

7 comments:

  1. Stunning layout! Just beautiful. And by waiting two years there are now SO MANY more options on the market to make your pages extra special - i.e., Tim Holtz! I'm also an AVID fan of T!M - almost fanatic, but only after ingesting too much caffeine! Those BG and K&Co papers are gorgeous! And I've never seen the ruler up close and personal and did not know that it had piercing holes - guess that'll be my NEXT purchase! Have a really great day, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This layout is just beautiful.
    I love your stitching. I agree it may have taken a bit of time, but so worth it.
    I love Tim Holtz products as well. But I can't find that many things here. I couldn't even find the foam pads for the inks until I went away on vacation. I am attempting to order online. A first for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely layout~ I know what you mean about not scrapping... if I don't get back to soon - I think I will have forgotten how LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great layout. Love anything Tim Holtz!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cathy,
    Thanks for visiting my blog :) I love your layout, you must have had a lot of patience to hand stitch around the entire layout but it looks beautiful! I also love Tim Holtz distress inks, thanks for the tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful LO!! I am a Tim Holtz fan also...so many great products! Thanks for the tips & TFS :o)
    (Oh, and you two looked GREAT!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an absolutely gorgeous page! I am a card maker just starting to scrap- and rather intimidated, lol! But looking at your beautiful results with all the wonderful details, I am very much inspired and excited to get moving! Thanks so much for all the great tips and explanations. You have a great blog; I plan to visit often ;-)

    ReplyDelete